From time-to-time we go through stressful situations and could use a helping hand.
There is a wide range of independent organisations that can help farmers with advice and expertise in dealing with difficult financial conditions.
- Rural Support Trusts - 0800 RURAL HELP or www.rural-support.org.nz
- Federated Farmers - 0800 FARMING or www.fedfarm.org.nz
- Dairy NZ - 0800 4 DAIRYNZ or www.dairynz.co.nz
- Beef & Lamb NZ - 0800 BEEFLAMB or www.beeflambnz.com
- Ministry for Primary Industries - 0800 00 8333 or www.mpi.govt.nz
- Depression Helpline - 0800 111 757 or www.depression.org.nz/rural
Your bank may also be able to help. Banks may be able to provide assistance during these challenging times, depending on farmers' individual circumstances.
There is a wide-range of potential measures available across the banking sector, including:
- Reducing or suspending principle payments on loans and temporarily moving to interest-only payments
- Allowing term deposits to be broken without associated costs
- Low interest loans for investment in key environmental systems and projects
- Waiving fees associated with restructuring business loans
- Providing access to short term funding
- Financial management and budgeting advice
- Access to workshops on improving farm productivity and performance
- Farmers should talk to their bank to find out whether specific assistance is available for them
The key is acting before the event takes place, having plans and a budget in place, and keeping your banker and advisers in the loop.